Biocomplexity of Frost-boil Ecosystems Snow Data Report, Alaska North Slope
This data report is a summary of snow-survey information collected during a trip to the Arctic Slope April 12-15, 2004. The data were all collected as part of the Biocomplexity of Frost-Boil Ecosystems study (Walker et al. 2004). Snow is an important factor affecting soil-surface temperatures during the winter. These data will be used to help model the influence of snow on frost heave.
The data collected included
1. Snow depth and soil temperature information from 97 of the 117 permanent plots (releves) that are part of a vegetation classification study.
2. Snow density and snow-water-equivalent (SWE) measurements from the midpoints of the four sides of each of ten 10x10-m grids at Happy Valley, Sagwon, Franklin Bluffs, and Deadhorse. We were not able to access the grids on B.P.-leased lands atWest Dock, and Howe Island, because we did not have B.P.'s "authorization to proceed".
3. Snow depths at every meter within each of the ten grids.
4. Snow profile descriptions from each of the ten grids.
5. Heave measurements from iron re-bar at releve sites and V. Romanovsky heave meters.
6. Snow depth measurements every 100 m within 1 x 1 km plot and at 45 permanent plots at Happy Valley.
- download: NSF Arctic Data Center
|ISO Topic Categories||
|GCMD Science Keywords|
|Begin datetime||2004-04-12 00:00:00|
|End datetime||2004-04-15 23:59:59|
Map data from IBCSO, IBCAO, and Global Topography.
Maximum (North) Latitude:
Minimum (South) Latitude:
Minimum (West) Longitude: -148.85236, Maximum (East) Longitude: -148.46639
Additional contact information
- author: Martha K. Raynolds <email@example.com>
- author: Donald A. (Skip) Walker <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- author: Christine R. Martin <email@example.com>
- originator: Hilmar A. Maier <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- principalInvestigator: Donald A. (Skip) Walker <email@example.com>
CitationExample citation following ESIP guidelines:
Raynolds, M., Walker, D., Martin, C. 2009. Biocomplexity of Frost-boil Ecosystems Snow Data Report, Alaska North Slope. Version 1.0. UCAR/NCAR - Earth Observing Laboratory. https://doi.org/10.5065/D69K48BW. Accessed 20 Jan 2020.
Today's date is shown: please replace with the date of your most recent access.
Additional citation styles
The citation text below is from the DataCite Content Resolver service and may take a few seconds to load. The styles and locales are obtained from CrossCite, which also provides a citation formatter. See ReFindit for another alternative. Formatting is not perfect: please verify and edit before use. Today's date is shown: please replace with the date of your most recent access.
Note that your browser may not display the above metadata links, but automatically save them as files in a folder such as "