J-CAD Drifting Buoy Data, Arctic Ocean, 2000-2002
This data set contains drifting buoy measurements taken from the Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC) Compact Arctic Drifters (J-CADs). The J-CAD buoys drift with the ice pack, collecting navigational, atmospheric, and oceanographic measurements, and transmitting the data via satellite. Since 2000, investigators have been conducting operations of the J-CADs to measure the structure of upper-ocean currents and water properties under the multi-year ice of the Arctic Ocean for a better understanding of the role the Arctic Ocean plays in global climate. This data set contains measurements from J-CAD buoys 1, 3, and 4, from years 2000-2002. For each buoy it takes approximately one year to drift through the Arctic Ocean, pass through Fram Strait into the Greenland Sea, and reach the ice edge, where transmission ceases. This research was funded by the Arctic System Science (ARCSS) Program, grant number OPP-9910305.
- download: NSF Arctic Data Center
|Subscribe||Subscribe to receive email when new or updated data is available.|
|ISO Topic Categories||
|GCMD Science Keywords|
|Begin datetime||2000-04-01 00:00:00|
|End datetime||2002-04-26 23:59:59|
Map data from IBCSO, IBCAO, and Global Topography.
Maximum (North) Latitude:
Minimum (South) Latitude:
Minimum (West) Longitude: -179.55, Maximum (East) Longitude: -130.33
Additional contact information
- author: Takatoshi Takizawa <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- principalInvestigator: James H. (Jamie) Morison <email@example.com>
- author: Takashi Kikuchi
- principalInvestigator: Dr. Knut Aagaard <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- principalInvestigator: Richard Moritz <email@example.com>
- principalInvestigator: Miles McPhee <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- principalInvestigator: Andreas Heiberg <email@example.com>
- principalInvestigator: Michael Steele <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- originator: Takatoshi Takizawa <email@example.com>
CitationExample citation following ESIP guidelines:
Takizawa, T., Kikuchi, T. 2009. J-CAD Drifting Buoy Data, Arctic Ocean, 2000-2002. Version 1.0. UCAR/NCAR - Earth Observing Laboratory. https://doi.org/10.5065/D6HD7SRR. Accessed 02 Dec 2021.
Today's date is shown: please replace with the date of your most recent access.
Additional citation styles
The citation text below is from the DataCite Content Resolver service and may take a few seconds to load. The styles and locales are obtained from CrossCite, which also provides a citation formatter. See ReFindit for another alternative. Formatting is not perfect: please verify and edit before use. Today's date is shown: please replace with the date of your most recent access.