North Pole Environmental Observatory (NPEO) Aerial CTD Survey
This data set contains North Pole Environmental Observatory (NPEO) Aerial CTD Survey data. It includes conductivity, temperature, depth (CTD), pressure, salinity, potential temperature, and density data, which were collected yearly in the Arctic Ocean as part of the NPEO. Investigators landed a helicopter or skiplane on the arctic sea ice and took measurements using a Seabird SBE-19 SeaCAT with a portable winch. They processed the data using the SEASOFT recipe to minimize salinity spiking and correct for a thermal lag of the conductivity cell. Certain constants were determined by empirical trial, which differed slightly for each year.
The NPEO is a year-round, automated scientific observatory, deploying various instruments each April in order to learn how the world's northernmost sea helps regulate global climate. It consists of a set of unmanned scientific platforms that record oceanographic, cryospheric, and atmospheric data throughout the year. More information about the project is available at the project Web site. NPEO data are in tab-delimited ASCII text format.
- download: NSF Arctic Data Center
|Subscribe||Subscribe to receive email when new or updated data is available.|
|ISO Topic Categories||
|GCMD Science Keywords|
|Begin datetime||2000-04-01 00:00:00|
|End datetime||2011-04-21 23:59:59|
Map data from IBCSO, IBCAO, and Global Topography.
Maximum (North) Latitude:
Minimum (South) Latitude:
Minimum (West) Longitude: -179.882, Maximum (East) Longitude: 179.8799
Additional contact information
- principalInvestigator: James H. (Jamie) Morison <email@example.com>
- author: James H. (Jamie) Morison <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- author: Michael Steele <email@example.com>
- principalInvestigator: Dr. Knut Aagaard <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- principalInvestigator: Richard Moritz <email@example.com>
- author: Kelly K. Falkner <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- principalInvestigator: Miles McPhee <email@example.com>
- principalInvestigator: Andreas Heiberg <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- principalInvestigator: Michael Steele <email@example.com>
- originator: James H. (Jamie) Morison <firstname.lastname@example.org>
CitationExample citation following ESIP guidelines:
Morison, J., Steele, M., Falkner, K. 2011. North Pole Environmental Observatory (NPEO) Aerial CTD Survey. Version 1.0. UCAR/NCAR - Earth Observing Laboratory. https://doi.org/10.5065/D6QJ7FFT. Accessed 22 May 2022.
Today's date is shown: please replace with the date of your most recent access.
Additional citation styles
The citation text below is from the DataCite Content Resolver service and may take a few seconds to load. The styles and locales are obtained from CrossCite, which also provides a citation formatter. See ReFindit for another alternative. Formatting is not perfect: please verify and edit before use. Today's date is shown: please replace with the date of your most recent access.