VAISALA LIGHTNING DATA RESEARCH POLICY
Vaisala is pleased to receive requests for lightning data for research use. The following policy must be followed and adhered to for all requests to ensure proper use of Vaisala lightning data. This policy is subject to change. This revision is effective as of April 22, 2013.
II. Basic Objectives
Vaisala desires to support research that will lead directly to a better understanding of lightning phenomena and/or to new applications of lightning data. Vaisala is particularly interested in lightning research that addresses the following topics:
- Meteorological applications
- Airport applications
- Defense applications
- Wind Energy applications
- Road applications
- Power Utility applications
- Forestry applications
- Insurance applications
- Geophysical research
However, Vaisala research support is not limited to these applications.
III. One-time archive data requests
To qualify for free data, the lightning data requested should not exceed a time period of five years, and not exceed an area greater than 700,000 square kilometers. Such free Vaisala lightning data are provided so that the investigator can produce materials to support grant proposals, or for the occasional student project. The investigator is urged to include the cost of lightning data (at a research-related discount price) in future grant proposals. Recipients of archived Vaisala lightning data are encouraged to present papers at Vaisala.s ILDC/ILMC and other appropriate meetings.
IV. Conditions of the offer
- The investigator(s) must submit an abstract describing their use of the data, and the applicability of their results. Vaisala's Lightning Product Manager must approve the scientific objectives.
- The abstract will be reviewed and approved as is or with revisions by the Lightning Product Manager within two weeks. Delivery of data depends on the scope of the project and the current turnaround schedule of the Vaisala Data Services group.
- This policy is primarily for university and other non-profit educational groups. Corporations will be asked to pay, as a minimum, a processing fee that is appropriate for the size of the requested data set.
- Lightning data supplied by Vaisala may not be used for direct comparisons with other lightning detection networks, unless approved by the Lightning Product Manager. This is to ensure proper lightning data interpretation, proper analysis techniques and the appropriateness of the lightning dataset to be used in comparisons.
- Investigator(s) that receive Vaisala lightning data for research use must provide Vaisala with a white paper, conference paper, published paper, PowerPoint presentation, and/or similar document at the conclusion of their study.
- Prior to submission of any publication employing data provided under this policy, Vaisala must be given the opportunity to look over elements of the manuscript related to Vaisala data for technical accuracy. Vaisala will also be open to assisting the authors by providing additional technical details if so desired by both Vaisala and the authors. Vaisala must be acknowledged as the source of the information and data.
- There can be no proprietary or commercial restrictions on the research results.
- Archival of the data is allowed, but the data may not be shared with, or sold to, another party without Vaisala's written permission.
- The offer is subject to Vaisala Inc.'s General Conditions of Sale as provided on the Vaisala website (www.vaisala.com). To the extent terms in this Policy conflict with the terms of the General Conditions of Sale, the terms in this Policy shall control.
I have read and understand Vaisala's lightning data research policy and agree to its terms and conditions.