Snow and Vegetation Measurements from Selected Sites Near Council, Alaska, USA, 2000-2002
A combination of snow depth, snow temperature, snow water equivalent (SWE), and albedo measurements were taken from the spring of 2000 to the fall of 2002 at five sites near Council, Alaska. The sites vary in land cover type from forest to tundra. The purpose of the investigation was to understand the potential effects of climate change on the region by measuring how conditions change along a vegetation gradient. These data, which characterize snow cover and snow-holding capacity of various vegetation types, can help scientists understand how key meteorological events impact the arctic landscape. Data files are in Excel format and include plots of the data and supplementary data information.
- download: NSF Arctic Data Center
|Subscribe||Subscribe to receive email when new or updated data is available.|
|ISO Topic Categories||
|GCMD Science Keywords|
|Begin datetime||2000-05-09 00:00:00|
|End datetime||2002-10-03 23:59:59|
Map data from IBCSO, IBCAO, and Global Topography.
Maximum (North) Latitude:
Minimum (South) Latitude:
Minimum (West) Longitude: -163.7378, Maximum (East) Longitude: -163.6496
Additional contact information
- author: Matthew Sturm <email@example.com>
- author: Charles H. Racine <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- author: Glen E. Liston <email@example.com>
- author: Jon Holmgren <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- author: Thomas A. Douglas <Thomas.A.Douglas@usace.army.mil>
- author: Ken Tape <email@example.com>
- author: Peter Olsson <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- author: Karl Volz <email@example.com>
- author: April Cheuvront
- author: Paul Heflinger
- originator: Matthew Sturm <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- principalInvestigator: Matthew Sturm <email@example.com>
- principalInvestigator: Charles H. Racine <firstname.lastname@example.org> Show 10 more...
CitationExample citation following ESIP guidelines:
Sturm, M., et al. 2009. Snow and Vegetation Measurements from Selected Sites Near Council, Alaska, USA, 2000-2002. Version 1.0. UCAR/NCAR - Earth Observing Laboratory. https://doi.org/10.5065/D62805R7. Accessed 07 Feb 2023.
Today's date is shown: please replace with the date of your most recent access.
Additional citation styles
The citation text below is from the DataCite Content Resolver service and may take a few seconds to load. The styles and locales are obtained from CrossCite, which also provides a citation formatter. See ReFindit for another alternative. Formatting is not perfect: please verify and edit before use. Today's date is shown: please replace with the date of your most recent access.