Late Holocene Climatic and Environmental Change Inferred from Arctic Lake Sediments
This Dataset consists of data which accompanies fourteen papers in a special issue of the Journal of Paleolimnology. These papers report new records of Holocene climate and environmental change from Arctic lakes, with emphasis on the last 2000 years. The study sites span the high latitudes of North America and extend into northwestern Europe. The studies rely on multiple proxy indicators to reconstruct past climate, including: varve thicknesses, chironomid, diatom, and pollen assemblages, biogenic-silica and organic-matter content, oxygen-isotope ratios in diatoms, and the frequency of lake-ice-rafted aggregates. These proxies primarily document changes in past summer temperatures, the main control on physical and biological processes in lakes at high latitudes. The records will be integrated into a larger network of paleoclimate sites to investigate the spatial and temporal variability of climate change and to compare the paleoclimate inferences with the output of general circulation models. The project of which these data are a part contributes to understanding the Arctic system by placing 20th century climatic change into a longer-term context of inter-decadal climatic variability spanning the last 2000 years.
- download: NOAA Paleoclimatology Program
|Subscribe||Subscribe to receive email when new or updated data is available.|
|ISO Topic Categories||
|Begin datetime||1000-01-01 01:01:01|
|End datetime||2008-12-31 23:59:59|
Map data from IBCSO, IBCAO, and Global Topography.
Maximum (North) Latitude:
Minimum (South) Latitude:
Minimum (West) Longitude: -180.00, Maximum (East) Longitude: 180.00
Additional contact information
- originator: Darrell Kaufman <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- author: Darrell Kaufman <email@example.com>
- principalInvestigator: Darrell Kaufman <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- principalInvestigator: Jason Briner <email@example.com>
- principalInvestigator: Feng Sheng Hu <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- principalInvestigator: David Porinchu <email@example.com>
- principalInvestigator: Al Werner <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- principalInvestigator: Glen MacDonald <email@example.com>
- principalInvestigator: Gifford H. Miller <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- principalInvestigator: Michael Retelle <email@example.com>
- principalInvestigator: Raymond Bradley <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- principalInvestigator: Donna Francis <email@example.com>
- principalInvestigator: Mark Abbott <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- principalInvestigator: Bette Otto-Bliesner <email@example.com>
- principalInvestigator: Konrad Hughen <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- principalInvestigator: Jonathan Overpeck <email@example.com>
- pointOfContact: Darrell Kaufman <firstname.lastname@example.org> Show 14 more...
Note that your browser may not display the above metadata links, but automatically save them as files in a folder such as "