OKMESO Soil Moisture Data (various OCS versions)
Please note that recent research focusing on the use of the Mesonet soil moisture sensors as soil temperature sensors demonstrated the following:
- The Mesonet soil moisture "start temperature" variable is not an accurate measure of soil temperature.
- Therefore, these data sets have no measure of soil temperature.
- Prior to January 2002, README files for Mesonet soil moisture data sets incorrectly stated:
"Because the soil moisture sensor operates by acquiring a temperature measurement before and after a heat pulse is applied, the 'pre-heating' temperature is a valid measurement of soil temperature co-located with the moisture measurement. These temperature measurements are accurate to 0.5 degrees C, and are included in this data."
- As a result, the Mesonet cannot at this time make a statement regarding the relationship between "start temperature" and soil temperature. The Mesonet research team regrets any inconvenience this has caused.
- With respect to volumetric water content, we are dealing with a derived value, the end product of a series of steps involving approximations and empirical coefficients that includes inherent error.
- Important note: For data downloaded through 1 April 2009, newer stations added after 2003 may not have had the WC values calculated. This has been corrected, and all stations should now have the WC values calculated using the same algorithm.
This dataset is password protected. For password information, please see the contact for this dataset.
Note: if you require 1 or more years of data, please order the data on CD via its companion dataset.
- ORDER data for delivery by FTP
- authorization required
|Subscribe||Subscribe to receive email when new or updated data is available.|
|GCMD Science Keywords|
|Begin datetime||1997-01-01 00:00:00|
|End datetime||2003-12-31 23:59:59|
Map data from IBCSO, IBCAO, and Global Topography.
Maximum (North) Latitude:
Minimum (South) Latitude:
Minimum (West) Longitude: -103.10, Maximum (East) Longitude: -94.70
Additional contact information
CitationExample citation following ESIP guidelines:
Oklahoma Climatological Survey (OCS). 2010. OKMESO Soil Moisture Data. Version 1.0. UCAR/NCAR - Earth Observing Laboratory. https://doi.org/10.26023/A6J8-88PC-QV0H. Accessed 09 Feb 2023.
Today's date is shown: please replace with the date of your most recent access.
Additional citation styles
The citation text below is from the DataCite Content Resolver service and may take a few seconds to load. The styles and locales are obtained from CrossCite, which also provides a citation formatter. See ReFindit for another alternative. Formatting is not perfect: please verify and edit before use. Today's date is shown: please replace with the date of your most recent access.